Divorce when you can’t Find Your Spouse


Marriage is one of the most important decisions that we make in our life. Most people take time to get to know the person before they get married. Divorce is usually the same. People do not wake up one morning and decide that they no longer want to be with the person they were in love with the day before. Many couples will split up for a time to see if they can work through their problems. Life moves on, and the separation may never have become final. What do you do when trying to get a divorce and you don’t know how to contact your spouse? As in most civil cases, you must serve a citation on the other party. If you cannot find your spouse, he/she may be served citation by publication. To qualify for service through publication, you must first file your original petition for divorce with the court, make a diligent effort to serve the citation on your spouse and then receive permission from the court to do alternative service. You must run the add in the newspaper, name the person to be served and add specific information as the what the lawsuit involves, which county, court, how long they have to answer, that the party can hire an attorney and information on whether the suit involves minor children. If you are having problems in obtaining a divorce or any family law legal matter, contact the Dallas office of the Morris Law Firm at (214)357-1782 or via email at info@themorrisfirm.net.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s