The Texas Family Code provides in §204.1: (a) In a judicial, administrative, or other proceeding, the marriage of a man and woman may be proved by evidence that: 1) a declaration of their marriage has been signed as provided by this subchapter; or 2) The man and woman agreed to be married and after the agreement they lived together in this state as husband and wife and there represented to others that they were married. (b) If a proceeding in which a marriage is to be proved as provided by Subsection (a)(2) is not commenced before the second anniversary of the date on which the parties separated and ceased living together, it is rebuttably presumed that the parties did not enter into an agreement to be married. Texas is one of Twelve states that allow “Common Law Marriages”. In Texas the relationship is referred to as an informal marriage. All other states in the U.S. acknowledge and accept informal marriages from other states. To dissolve an informal or common law marriage, the parties must go through a divorce like with other marriages. However, if two years has passed since the separation of the parties, there is a rebuttable presumption that the marriage did not take place. If you have questions about a family law issue, contact the Dallas office of the Morris Law Firm at (214)357-1782 or via email at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s