Texas Family Law “I’m a Father?”


In life we get many surprises, some are nice and others are not so nice. Even nice surprises may not come in a way that makes us very happy. Finding out that you are a father may be one of those times. If you are approached by someone with whom you had relations and they tell you that you are the father of their child, what are your rights? In Texas when a child is born out of wedlock, the child has no legal father. This is the difference between a biological father and a legal father. A man cannot be ordered to pay child support or have visitation rights to the child. For a man to be found to be a legal father, an Acknowledgement of Paternity form must be signed or through paternity DNA testing. Do not sign an Acknowledgement of unless you’re positive that you are the father. Acknowledging paternity create make you responsible for the child even if you end the relationship with the mother. You may seek visitation rights, custody (joint or sole) and may have to pay child support. Never ignore notices from a court. If you do, the court may proceed without you and make a determination in absentia. Always contact an attorney to assist you through this process. If you have any questions as to paternity or your parental rights contact the Morris Law Firm at (214)357-1782, (817)496-3447 or via email at info@themorrisfirm.net.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s